Friday, June 19, 2015

Father's Day!

This is probably one of my fondest memories as a child growing up. In the LDS church we have a program called primary and part of primary was singing time. And this was probably one of my most memorable songs as a child. I love all the actions that went along with the song and the rhythm of the song always made my happy.

I was a very blessed girl. I had a really good, honest, reliable, responsible, hard working dad. My dad always read me stories, made sure I memorized my times tables, taught me to ride a bike, he even braided my hair one time. He even took me shopping. One day I was feeling depressed and he whisked me away to Meadows Mall and bought me the most beautiful dress. I remember feeling extremely guilty because it cost $50 and I didn't think I was worth that, but every time I wore that I dress I felt like a million dollars. I kept that dress for 10 years. I also took every opportunity as a little girl to work with my dad. I planted trees at our cabin, I tried to mow the yard (only to run over my share of sprinklers). My dad was an educator, he taught me to write, he even taught me to cook. Most of these things were done through osmosis because my dad was a perfectionist. He still is. His yard and home is immaculate.

Through all this my dad and I never quite saw eye to eye growing up. Little did he know I would turn out to be a lot like him: responsible, hard worker, helpful and a good contributor to society. But despite the tumultuous tornados that I sent his way, he is and always will be my dad.

I remember going to Western High School to listen to the daughter of Steve Wynn give a speech. She apparently was a big deal because she was attending Harvard University at the time. But I enjoyed filing his papers at school, drinking all the Tang I could when I was working but now that I'm older I have realized so many great lessons in life and they can certainly apply to family.

1. I learned that no matter the issue both parties can agree to disagree and find something good about the other person.

2. I learned that the old saying, "If you can't say something nice, don't saying at all" isn't true. My philosophy is, "If you can't say something nice, just say THANK YOU"!

3. I learned that when in my dad's house, he's always right. If I don't like it I can say Thank you and leave :)

4. I learned that it's GOOD to acknowledge the traits and teachings your parents have taught you and find good in them and make the most of them.

5. Lastly, I learned that a HUG goes a long way. I love to hug everyone. And if you can hug for 30 seconds it has some increase in your health. (I read that on the internet somewhere) :)

I love my Dad! I am so GLAD my Loving HEAVENLY Father entrusted my dad with me. He let me fail, he let me quit, he let me find out for myself the life lessons I needed in order to grow and become ME. Happy Father's Day dad!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAXIMIZE YOU EVERYDAY

  It's BORN!! The Dream, the Idea, the INTENTION is HERE! I sometimes wondered WHY it has taken me SO SO long, and WHY it MAY continue t...